March 4, 2008

Office Lemons

It would be nice if Plants where as easy to raise as Children. Don't get me wrong, children do require more attention and you have to constantly watch over them and feed them and bathe them. Mostly so you don't look so white trashy. I say this because every time Erin and I try to be a little more green(by this I mean green thumb). We always manage to murder the plants that we so carefully planted and promised to watch over. Why are they so hard to keep alive? The answer to this question remains a mystery to Jason and Erin.

Maybe we didn't pay attention when they said, "If you want to see if you are ready for kids get a pet or a plant and take care of it and if after a year or two it is still alive you are ready." So, I think we are passing at being parents of Children but not plants. I guess we just got it backwards.

I have to brag about the plant in my office. Two years ago Mom #2 brought a lemon to work to sour up something in her lunch. I decided to take all the seeds in the lemon and plant them in a pot. Everyone thought I was crazy and after several weeks I was about to believe them and give up. Almost exactly three months later we had about 5 seeds sprout up. I gave four away to others in the office and none were alive after 6 months. I guess they don't have green thumbs either. The one that I kept is about 2 years old and still kick-in it in the sun.


Nice isn't it. I am quite proud of my plant. Not because it has grown so big in two years, but only because it is still alive. Erin - I guess we are NOW ready for kids, but I think we are 3 times too late for that.

7 comments:

shauna said...

A lemon tree. Heh, I might manage that, because it's sour and all. (And it looks like it might be in my blood.) Congrats!

Rhonda Barnes said...

THAT POOR THING NEEDS SOME MIRCLE GROW....AND IT WILL LOOK BIGGER!!!BUT YOU GUYS DO PRETTY GOOD RAISING KIDS SO DON'T WORRY ABOUT YOU THUMB NOT BEING GREEN. LOVE MOM

Spammon said...

That is awesome. I thought my peppers were cool, but this by far is superior. Perhaps I will try something new this time to be equally as cool. Maybe a coconut tree. Or huckleberries.

jason said...

shauna - Lemon trees have preaty white flower in the spring so we will see.

mom - I am getting a bigger pot this spring to plant him in so he can grow and grow. I will be sure to use miracle grow!

spammon - did you make salsa or maybe some con queso with those peppers. If you grew a coconut tree you could do pina coladas(virgin of course)!

Anonymous said...

Just to set the record straight....I brought lemons to the office just because you said you wanted to plant a lemon tree. I didn't bring them to "sour something up in my lunch." Yes, that's right, Jason - I brought the lemons just for you. See how nice I can be to you - occasionally!

xo - Mom #2

lindsey said...

I want a lemon tree... I'm jealous of yours. :(

Oh well at least you can figure out what works best and how to take care of it, and by the time I get mine you'll be a pro * a-lemon-tree-secret-sharing-pro*!

Anonymous said...

My lemon tree is still alive and well and living in Lehi. Mom #1