January 10, 2008

Crack in the Cupola

Cupola - Cu.po.la \'kyu-qe-le, -,lo\ n [It, fr. L cupula, dim. of cupa tub] a vertical cylindrical furnace for melting iron in the foundry that has tuyeres and tapping spouts near the bottom.

We had a mini shut down here at the foundry because the cupola had a crack in it. So as you can see in the following pictures we had molten iron pooring onto the floor (don't worry nobody was injured from this.) I thought you might like the pictures.



SMORES ANYONE?


3 comments:

lindsey said...

I'm sweating just looking at the pictures!

Spammon said...

You work for a foundry? You don't by any chance get all your materials from Larsen Foundry Supply do you? I used to work for them years ago. I had to make the red sand for the molds, and knew a whole bunch of useless knowledge about melting metal.

jason said...

Spammon-
I work in the sales here. I have no clue where they get all their material from. Larsen Foundry does not ring a bell! Sorry